Join us for Summer Butterflies and Blooms - A Naturalist Tour of Old Field Preserve on Saturday, August 15th from 10am-12pm: Explore the open fields and eastern woodlands with a small group of phsically-distanced hikers. Binoculars are recommended as we will spread out in search of early summer blooms and butterflies.
Participants will be loaned a personal headset to better hear the tour leader and to allow for distancing. (The headsets are sanitized before and after use. Sanitizing wipes will be available for personal use upon request.)
Due to the limited number of headsets, preregistration is required for this event and limited to 15 participants. So sign up now (below). And, if you are unable to attend, please cancel your registration so that we may contact the next person on the waitlist.
Suggested for ages 11+. Steady rain cancels. This event is not recommended for dogs.
Meet at the Old Field Preserve parking lot (on Mead Street, Waccabuc, NY at the intersection of Schoolhouse Rd.)
All participants will be asked to adhere to CDC and AMC guidelines to prevent the spread of COVID-19:
▪ Wear a cloth mask or face covering: Any time you know others may be present, you should have your mask on. Keeping it at the ready while hiking is okay if you can quickly pull it up over your nose and mouth before you come within six feet of others. (And of course, "leave no trace." Take your mask and gloves home with you.)
▪ Slow down, step back, and let people know when you’re approaching: Everyone should yield to others.
▪ Step off the trail when needed: If the trail isn’t wide enough to allow for six feet in passing, step off the trail.
▪ Keep single file (even on wide trails): Keep your group single file: do not spread out across the trail.
▪ Don’t stand across the trail to chat: stopping on either side of the trail to chat creates a “gauntlet” that others must either pass through or go off-trail to avoid.