For taxpayers on a fixed income, every penny saved matters. Many of these are seniors and retirees who can file their taxes for free. IRS Free File provides free online tax preparation for taxpayers with income less than $69,000 a year.
Free File is one of several ways that older taxpayers can save money and file their taxes. Here are some facts about these programs to help these taxpayers determine which one fits their needs.
- IRS Free File is available on IRS.gov, and features 10 brand-name tax software providers.
- Taxpayers can browse each of the 10 offers or use the Lookup Tool to help them find the right product.
- Each Free File partner sets its own eligibility standards. These are generally based on income, age and state residency. All taxpayers whose adjusted gross income was $69,000 or less will find at least one free product to use.
- Two Free File products are available in Spanish.
- Free File supports all the major forms that can be filed electronically. This means that even if someone’s tax return is a bit more complex, they can still use a free service.
- Free File offers the new Form 1040-SR option for seniors over the age of 65.
- Free File providers also offer state tax return preparation, some for free and some for a fee. Taxpayers can also use the Look Up tool to find the right state product.
- Taxpayers can use their smart phone or tablet to do their taxes. They just need to go to IRS.gov/FreeFile on their device. All Free File products are enabled for mobile devices.
- There are also programs where people can go to have their taxes prepared for free. VITA and TCE sites are generally located at community and neighborhood centers, libraries, schools, shopping malls and other convenient locations across the country. Taxpayers can use the VITA locator tool to find a location near them.
Tax Tip 2020-16