CDC Travelers' Health Update
’Tis the season to visit loved ones at home or abroad. Or, maybe you are taking a holiday vacation. Whether you’re seeking a winter wonderland or escaping subzero temperatures, follow these travel tips to get prepared for a healthy and safe holiday travel season! Full article.
Tips for before holiday travel
• Use our destination tool to check out the travel health recommendations.
• Make an appointment with a healthcare provider.
• Enroll in STEP to get safety warnings.
• Pack a travel health kit.
Tips for during your vacation
• Drive safely. Always wear a seatbelt.
• Remember that insects and insect bites aren’t just annoying, they can also spread serious diseases. Use repellent to prevent insect bites.
• Don’t forget sunscreen, even if it’s cold or cloudy. And be sure to apply sunscreen before insect repellent.
• Avoid travelers’ diarrhea. Only eat food that is cooked and served hot, peeled by you, or comes in factory-sealed packages.
• Only drink water you know is safe; otherwise, stick to bottled or boiled drinks. Avoid ice, even alcohol won’t kill bacteria.
After travel: If you are not feeling well when you get home, call a healthcare provider and tell them where you have been.
Visit CDC.gov for more tips and information