First 2,000 New Yorkers Who Receive First COVID-19 Vaccine Dose Between Dec. 1 and 31 Eligible to Enter Random Drawing
Grand Prizes Include Lifetime Fishing and Hunting Licenses and Deluxe Equipment
All Entrants Receive Subscription to DEC's 'Conservationist' Magazine and a Tree Seedling
New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) Commissioner Basil Seggos has announced the new 'Take Your Shot for an Outdoor Adventure' sweepstakes is now open. Launched last week by Governor Kathy Hochul, the COVID-19 vaccine incentive is intended to bolster vaccination rates among New Yorkers who enjoy the great outdoors. During the month of December, anyone that receives their first COVID-19 vaccine dose is eligible to enter the sweepstakes and a random drawing to win special prize packages tailored to anglers, hunters, and other outdoor enthusiasts.
"I applaud Governor Hochul's ongoing efforts to educate New Yorkers about the critical need to get vaccinated to protect themselves, their families, and their communities," said Commissioner Seggos. "As we continue to move forward through the COVID-19 pandemic, the new 'Take Your Shot for an Outdoor Adventure' sweepstakes is a great way to encourage more New Yorkers, including the growing number of people discovering the state's world-class opportunities for outdoor recreation, to get vaccinated and earn the chance to win some great gear after they do."
Five entrants will be randomly selected to receive the Grand Prize and the opportunity to choose one of the following deluxe packages valued at approximately $2,000:
- Fishing: Lifetime fishing license, fishing kayak, vest, rod and reel;
- Bowhunter: Lifetime hunter and bowhunting license, high-quality crossbow package or compound bow package with ½ dozen bolts or arrows, ladder tree stand, safety harness/fall arrest system, and 10x42 binoculars;
- Rifle hunter: Lifetime sportsman license, high-quality riflescope, ladder tree stand, safety harness/fall arrest system, and 10x42 binoculars;
- Turkey hunter: Lifetime sportsman license, high-quality ground blind, turkey hunting vest, hen decoy pair, shotgun optical sight, slate call, and 10x42 binoculars; and
- Birding: 20-60x spotting scope, 10x42 binoculars, bird feeder, bird seed, bird house, deluxe birding guide, and I Bird NY materials.
Twenty-five entrants will be randomly selected to receive Second Tier prizes and the choice of one of the following packages, valued at approximately $1,000:
- Fishing: Annual fishing license, fishing kayak, vest, rod and reel;
- Bowhunter: Annual hunter and bowhunting license, high-quality crossbow OR compound bow package with ½ dozen bolts or arrows, a ladder tree stand, a safety harness/fall arrest system, and 8x42 binoculars;
- Rifle hunter: Annual hunting license, high-quality riflescope, a ladder tree stand, a safety harness/fall arrest system, and 8x42 binoculars;
- Turkey hunter: Annual hunting license and turkey permit, high quality ground blind, turkey hunting vest, hen decoy, slate call, and 8x42 binoculars; and
- Birder: 8x42 binoculars, birdfeeder, bird seed, and I Bird NY materials.
The first 2,000 people to receive their first vaccination and enter the sweepstakes by Dec. 31, will receive a tree seedling from DEC's Colonel William F. Fox Memorial Tree Nursery in Saratoga, and their choice of either a $25 gift card for a free night of camping at a DEC campground, or a $25 gift card to a major sporting goods retailer. In addition, the 2,000 sweepstakes entrants will receive a one-year subscription to DEC's Conservationist magazine, which is currently celebrating its 75th year in publication.
Information about how to enter the sweepstakes is now available on DEC's website. Prior to fulfillment of a hunting license and any associated privilege (e.g., bowhunting privilege), the recipient must complete a hunter education course and bowhunter education course (in the case of the bowhunter prize package), and present certificate(s) of completion.
All eligible, vaccinated entrants must adhere to all applicable requirements to receive a hunting or fishing license in New York State, including completion of required hunter education courses and other rules. For more information about hunting and freshwater fishing licenses, visit DEC's Hunting License and Fishing License webpages.